Saturday, July 31, 2010

A pre-emptive strike on a pre-emptive strike on Christmas



Ok, now I realise that it has literally just turned August and so Christmas is still well over four months away, but seeing as decorations will probably start popping up next month, I figured I'd get in there first...


Now I don't want this to seem like a bitter, miserly rant from Ebinezer Scrooge because in fact I love Christmas. What I don't love however is the build up. For nearly four straight months we have it rammed down our throats. So that by the end of Christmas Day itself there's a part of you that's glad it's over just so you don't have to face the utterly overwhelming, sugary-coated intensity of it all.


In September the decorations go up in shops and the Christmas tunes start being played (to the point that by December you want to strangle Noddy-bloody-Holder for his incesant holler of "It's Chriiiiisss-Maaaaaassssssssss!!!") shortly afterwards the street decorations go up and you're stalked and plagued by endless, snowmen, reindeer and Father Christmas's.


For me however, Christmas will always be on its way only when you see the advert on the telly with the Coca-Cola Christmas trucks. For me it's a day of catching up with family and sharing gifts. Not very Christian of me... but I've gone for 29 years like that and ain't about to start now. It's a really nice feeling to be surrounded by decorations in a house though. Weirdly the weather also makes it. My whole life Christmas has always been cold, and now living in a hot country, there's just something highly peculiar about seeing snowmen nd snowflakes dangling from the ceiling then walking outside into 90 degree heat and feeling as though you're melting... although I suppose that's what it's also like in Australia and New Zealand.

No comments:

Post a Comment